Freezing to Death for Beauty
People in Beijing wear a lot of clothing during winter to fend off(抵御)the cold. In the United States, however, people wear_____(51)partly because the car is the primary mode of transportation. Cars take_____(52)straight to their workplaces, which are heated well. The American diet is full of calories, so their_____(53)can afford to burn heat more quickly.
Fewer layers of clothing give people the opportunity to stay_____(54)Lots of Yale girls wear skirts_____(55)when it's 10 degrees Centigrade outside. Some of them at least wear boots, tights, and leg-warmers. Some, however, really just go for the look _____(56)the risk of health. These girls have nothing to prevent their _____(57)against the wind, and no socks to protect their feet. A mini skirt and a pair of stilettos are all that they wear.
Typically, the ones pursuing fashion are_____(58)with little body fat. Just by the nature of their bodies, they are already at a disadvantage compared with normal people in_____(59)weather. I have always_____(60),whenever I pass these girls, how they manage to refrain from shivering and just smile like spring had arrived.
And then there are the guys. The girls can be said to_____(61)health for beauty. But why do guys_____(62)so little? It is not like, once they shed some layers, they suddenly become better-looking. They are not exactly being fashionable when they _____(63)wear sporty(花哨的)shorts and shower slippers in the midst of winter. It's not cute(可爱的).
Of course, people have the freedom to look whatever_____(64)hey want. I am just surprised that, given the vast difference between winter and summer temperatures in Connecticut, they can still_____(65)like they are partying on the beach in the middle of February.
51. A.less B.thin C.bare D.few
52. A.they B.her C.them D.him
53. A.meals B.dishes C.drinks D.bodies
54. A.fashionable B.bony C.hungry D.funny
55. A.ever B.even C.never D.not
56. A.in B.for C.at D.on
57. A.heads B.legs C.arms D.hands
58. A.fat B.skinny C.ugly D.short
59. A.warm B.cool C.hot D.cold
60. A.dreamed B.stated C.claimed D.wondered
61. A.hurt B.sacrifice C.suffer D.cost
62. A.bear B.carry C.manage D.wear
63. A.seldom B.only C.rarely D.hardly
64. A.method B.road C.side D.way
65. A.look B.hold C.seem D.show